5/4/09

The Emerald Isle

Our first few days in Ireland have treated us far better than our last few in New York. We landed Saturday morning to sunshine, green trees, and hordes of drunken rugby fans in town for the very important Heineken Cup Semi-Final. We've been struck by the chilly damp air and the streets that actually smell like Guinness, but have really enjoyed learning about Ireland's political history.

Our activities haven't strayed too far from the Tourist path, but everything has been excellent from the Book of Kells at Trinity College

to the Kilmainham Gaol (an old jail that closed in 1924 with a fascinating history)

to the Guinness Storehouse (a really fun tour in a very well-designed building, although I found the making of beer to be less exciting than the Guinness people obviously do!).

We've really enjoyed the pubs, where we saw Leinster defeat Muenster in the aforementioned rugby match and I've discovered pear cider, which will now replace champagne at all my future parties if I can find it in the US.

Including a run through St. Stephen's Green and a walk through Christ Church Cathedral,

our stay has been really comfortable, and we feel pretty well oriented in the streets of Dublin.

So we're going to test our mettle in the streets of Greater Ireland and rent a car to the West Coast tomorrow - driving on the left - fingers crossed!

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like the O'Leeses are having a wonderful time! 'ave a pint fer me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been to Ireland ourselves!Jealous already and you have barely started!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks from the Guinness Storehouse picture like you had at least a bit of beautiful weather! I hope you have some more as you head west.

    I love that last picture, and am glad you enjoyed the Ritz. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have the exact same pictures from my trip to Dublin, except for that crazy last one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great, cute pictures! Thanks for making them bigger :) I felt the same way about the beer making process when visiting Guinness as well! Are you visiting Bailey's and the Bushmills factory, too? Bailey's gives a decent sized free "sample," and if you go to Bushmills, be sure to volunteer to be an official "Irish Whiskey Taster" if you go on the tour... :) Lotsa drinkin' in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather Alexander BeamMay 5, 2009 at 4:22 PM

    So glad you guys are having fun! You can definitely find pear cider in the US. It's one of my favorite drinks! I love seeing your pictures. Takes me back to when we were there! Keep having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Driving? left side? ay caramba.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, it's Lucy. I am loving this blog so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Pics you guys. And great update. I am feeling your experience. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to hear from you all! Thanks for the blogging tips, Dana - we're newbies at this. And I'm thrilled to hear I can get pear cider when I get home!!
    BaM

    ReplyDelete